‘Tis the season to be thankful, and who other to thank than the people who keep your breath fresh and your teeth clean? Of course, we are talking about your family dentist!
Dentists may not always come to the top of your mind on Thanksgiving, but here are some reasons to think about why they are so important.
1. They keep your smile looking great. This is a given. The dentist’s duty is to keep your teeth are beautiful from the inside out. First impressions are very important for jobs, new relationships, and general confidence. With all the joys in life, you should be able to show off your smile as much as possible! A family dentist is there to give you a good cleaning and inform you about an oral health routine that prevents cavities and tooth decay. With someone like that in your life, how could you not be thankful?
2. They keep the rest of your body healthy, too. Oral health can affect your overall bodily health. Keeping your mouth clean and has been linked to decreased rates of heart disease, diabetes, periodontitis, bacterial infections, pregnancy complications, osteoporosis, obesity, and so much more! If you think about it, your mouth is the main entryway into your body, and your dentist is there to be sure you know all the basics to keep your mouth and body safe.
3. They keep your mouth’s bacteria at bay. Your dentist tells you to brush your teeth twice daily for a reason. Those 5–10 minutes you spend brushing your teeth each day help kill over 700 different varieties of bacteria. Without the proper care it could not only affect the appearance of your teeth but your overall health as well. And with a quick check-up every 6 months, your dentist can be sure you are on the right track and save your pearly whites in the long haul, as well as your wallet.
4. They prevent embarrassing bad breath. Gum and breath mints can only go so far. Dentists make sure you have a healthy mouth and teach you how to keep your entire mouth clean. They are here to make every breath you take inviting and not repulsive.
5. Don’t forget the take-home goodies! We wait all year for the holiday season but every trip to the dentist is always a little piece of Christmas. Along with the great gift of fresh breath and a healthy smile, a good dentist will send you home with floss, a new toothbrush, toothpaste, a bit of mouthwash, and maybe even a few goodies that will give you a reason to show off that smile.
From everyone here at Dr. Ken’s office, we hope you have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!